Friday, March 03, 2006

Friday Collage


Thursday would be a better day to work on the collage quilts but inevitably I find myself sitting down to work at 3pm on Friday. A couple of hours later, I sewed one bead for the navel, declared it done and took a picture. The theme for this month's collages (5 in total) is The Nude Figure. The title for this one is "The Politics of the Nipple" and I am pleased with the way it came together.

I started thinking about the theme last weekend - knitting, watching the Olympics and trying to imagine what I was going to do with naked bodies. From the get-go I decided that it would be the female form, picked up a couple of my daughter's Vogue Magazines ("It's all about the clothes, Mom.") to do some research - scary. Those women(?) do not have breasts... or hips! So, I decided I would be better off just sketching from memory.

During the week, those sketches became the basis (bases?...arrgghh!) for a Fabric Arts Journal that I was creating. One night, 1-ish am or so I had this thought about hoping that I didn't offend anyone. I must have been tired 'cause when I woke the next morning I was a little irrated with myself. I'm not going to pull out the big soapbox BUT this country gets their panties in a twist over a lousy little nipple at a Stupidbowl halftime fiasco.

Here's the fabric book - makes for a good place to try techniqes and work on samples.

6 comments:

Deb Geyer said...

Nice,Kim. I like how you assembled all of the pages in a book.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kim...this is so true. There is a sculpture in Florida that is of a mermaid. She has bare breasts but no nipples because she is on display in a spot where children will see her. The only reason I heard about it is because the artist is getting to add nipples because she is temporarily being moved to another display. Now, I want to know how you explain to children why she has breasts but no nipples. I mean, come on....do they really think the kids don't know that she's supposed to have nipples?? All they have to do is look in a mirror to know that breasts have nipples. Don't we have more important things to worry about than nipples?? Good grief....

I'm glad your pieces have nipples and pubic hair and LIFE.

teri

jenclair said...

What a wonderful collage! The text and the figure are so perfectly matched: simple curves, grace, the dot - so clean and elegant. I love your ability to translate your text visually.

The fabric book is a joy to behold, a celebration of the female form.

Jen said...

This is wonderful work, and it makes me think about the possibilities for making fabric books.
I like not only each individual page, but how they relate to each other in the form you have created. Jen

Elle said...

I really like this!

Digitalgran said...

Your fabric book is a pleasure to look at and I would love to be able to hold it in my hands.