Thursday, January 04, 2007

Friday Collage - New Year Wk 01





reflection



I've joked about someday doing a Friday Collage that was no more than an "X" - this week I got really close to doing just that! I spent half an hour stitching an half-inch grid, another ten minutes writing in the letters, and a final five minutes finishing the edge. I had been considering doing a "crossword puzzle" for this week but I've had such low energy I just settle for this simpler approach. I was inspired by Jen's post on Ben Franklin's list of thirteen virtues. It reminded me of the Nine Nobel Virtues that I had read about years ago: Courage; Truth; Honor; Fidelity; Discipline; Hospitality; Self-Reliance; Industriousness; and Perseverance. (The Nine Noble Virtues for Kids describes each virtue nicely.)

I added Strength (of) Character to the "puzzle" because whatever virtues or values I try to emulate or live by - for me the bottom line is that how I live my life (my actions, my deeds) is a reflection of the strength of my character.

9 comments:

sophie said...

I love how you took Franklin's virtues and ran with it. This would be a great way for anyone to represent their own principles for living, resolutions, goals, etc ...

Dianne said...

You are so creative!!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Great idea. Wow week 1 huh?

ACey said...

This is very cool. I have been thinking about your strength of character philosophy ever since I saw you refer to it in Jen's comment section. I don't know why I never thought to distill "everything" quite so simply but this philosophy works for me, too!

Just posted about my own collage. Thanks so much for encouraging me. I had a blast putting things together.

His Office, My Studio said...

What a neat little quilt, great idea!

Sarah said...

Off to a fantastic start for the new year! I love it, and great words to live by! Thanks for the reflection.

jenclair said...

This is so much better than printing them out and posting the 8 1/2 x 11 page on the bulleting board.

Great idea, Kim!

Debra Dixon said...

Another cool piece!

Granny Fran said...

I love your Friday collages because they are always a fun surprise! I look forward to checking them out each week. This is much more interesting than a plain old list.