Tuesday, February 08, 2011

flowers on my mind

I was driving around town the other and saw four different people planting spring flowers. I assume the plants were pansies and primroses. I don't have much, if any gardening expertise, but now that the hardscaping in the backyard is complete it is time to figure out what to plant. I want a simple plan that I can expand on over the years as I learn more about plants and what plants do well on the property.

One area, next to the main deck and hot tub, about 10' x 10', I have decided to plant with roses. Luckily, I know just where to get my roses, about an hour and a half north of Corvallis, at Heirloom Roses. I'm planning on going through their roses online, listing the ones that appeal to me, and taking a stab at a potential garden plan. Then, I'm going to drive up there and see if they will review the plan, improve it  - or  - toss and completely redo.

I'd like to some dahlias and there are plenty of local growers to choose from: Swan Island Dahlias and Frey's Dahlias and Dahlia Divas. Yay! - another road trip but, I'll have to wait to August/September to walk the farms to see them in bloom.

I'm really looking forward to May 6th when Schreiner's Iris Garden opens their 10 acre display gardens to the public.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

We have about 14 inches of snow and subzero wind chills today - pansies and spring flowers sound good. Plant a few for me. I have an indoor orchid opening up today though. That's a welcome sight.

Kay said...

I'm in the same boat as Sande. Hoping to buy a bouquet of tulips next time I go to the store for a spring feeling.

Rian said...

Tulips! Nothing says spring like tulips. Can't help ya on the garden front--I have ten black thumbs.