Monday, March 20, 2006

Design Wall Tour

After visiting Barbara, Debra , Fran, and Deb's studios and seeing what's on their design walls, I thought I'd share my little corner of the world. For years I shared a studio with a friend (Sidnee.) Our first was a studio apartment close to where our children went to school. After that we moved into a space at the school, it was ideal: 900 square feet, great lighting, wonderful location. When the school needed their space back, we moved to a two-story condominium. Last year, we relocated our studios back to our own homes and adjusting to that has been a challenge. My studio space is located in a daylight basement (accessed by taking the stairs down from the kitchen.) Just out of view to the left is storage and to the right more storage (and the treadmill that I should be on right now!) Behind the orange/blue quilt is a library/computer/closet room, which is actually a fairly large catchall space housing four bookshelves, a wall of wire shelving, computer/printers/etc - the point is, if I ever get around to the task of cleaning/organizing I might move the studio into that space. In the meantime, this is where I work. Lighting and design wall space are my biggest frustrations. In addition to two 48" x 90" flannel-covered board, I usually have several 4 foot-square boards I use for "active" projects (which store nicely on top of the dog crate in the laundry room just south of the studio space.)


Members over at Delphi Forum's Quilt Studio are posting links of what's on their design walls. The group is small and growing - challenges, good discussion... and I found the games, yet another diversion.

6 comments:

Debra Dixon said...

I am thinking of expanding into a 2nd room and adding a couch. When I was growing up the couch in my mom's sewing room was always covered in projects. I am such a piler that I can see the same happening to any couch I add. How do you keep yours clean?

Deb Geyer said...

Thanks for the tour, Kim. It is always interesting seeing where others work and how they adapt their space.
Looks like you have lots going on!

jenclair said...

I'd love to have a couch, too, but see myself having the same problem Debra mentions. Thanks for sharing your creative space.

Sandra said...

Very nice, Kim. It looks like a pleasant and functional place to work. It would be fun to just stand in there for an hour or so looking at each piece individually.

Val said...

What a great studio. I have a couch in my overflow room and it is a boon! I can sit and ponder before starting on a project or look at books and get ideas.

Elle said...

I always enjoy seeing everyone's design walls...