Thursday, September 28, 2006

Working Samples



Nine of us over at Fabric Art Journals have begun working on A4 size quilts that we will exchange in February. One piece that I'm creating tells the story of Coyote building Williamette Falls. I decided that the piece needs to be mola-like and needs to include coyote, a salmon, a fish net, a waterfall and a spear. Sketching what I want the piece to look like with prismcolor pencils is one thing - figure out how to "make" it in fabric is quite another. I've considered using felt, may still do that, but today I played with thickened dyes. The fabric was pre-treated with soda ash and then dried. I used a very small paintbrush and drew free-hand on the fabric. After I finished the central figure, I watered down the dye and did a quick wash. The studies are about postcard size and I'll probably finish them this week as postcards for 6 x 4 lives.

"Mola-like" - what the... I think I'm trying to imply that it looks like mola but without doing the applique. Yeah, well, it will be what it will be.

2 comments:

arlee said...

OMG those are fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ACey said...

Love this work. Am having so much trouble picking a legend, whereas a legend has already picked me ;)