Thursday, December 14, 2006

December JQC2006







Hanukkah 5767








Tomorrow is the first night of Hanukkah (or Chanukah), the Festival of Lights. This is my final Journal Quilt for 2006. Last year, on the last night of Hanukkah, I took a picture of our Menorah and used that picture to inspire this little quilt. I love the fabric I selected for the Menorah - I didn't have to do anything to it except fussy cut the piece so that the lightest part was aligned down the "trunk of the tree."

(We've had severe weather all evening, including a two hour power outage... hopefully during the current lull in the winds and rain I'll be able to post!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love this piece.

Anonymous said...

This is very nice! You did a great job with the light and shadows placement.

Deb Hardman said...

I love your Menorah! It has such a nice organic look to it. You made the candles look like they were glowing.

I've thought about making a Menorah for my friend Ilene, but I was thinking the flames should be able to be added as the candles would be lit.

Anonymous said...

Kim, did you fuse or applique, for some reason I can't tell on this piece? I like the way you made the candlelight glow into the darkness, love the Menorrah! The way you did the lightest part on the trunk makes the dimension and the lighting just right!

Kim said...

laura lea - the Menorah is fused and then machine appliquéd, a little netting aids in creating the glow of the candles.

Sandra said...

Your Hanukkah journal piece looks great. Did you finish all 12 then? You should get an award!