Monday, November 26, 2007

November 2007 Journal Quilt

Chrysanthemum

My November 2007 Journal Quilt is the Chrysanthemum. I tried to add some 3D embellishments around the flower but was not satisfied with anything I tried - so, went without. Next month, the final month for this year of flowers I'll being working on a Poinsettia.

I went to the Co-op this morning to get ingredients to make the 'Sopa de Lentejas' and on the way I read a sign in front of a local nursery that they had blue poinsettias. I really wasn't looking forward to the "traditional" red or green for this last month of Journal Quilts, but blue? Of course, I came home and googled "blue poinsetias." I discovered they are not new - they've been in the US market for a couple of years and in Europe for the last eight! - where have I been? The good new is I can make my poinsettia any color I want! I'm thinking... maybe plaid.

I did make 'Sopa' for dinner...

instead of pumpkin I used sweet potatoes. I started layering everything into the crock pot but before I had a chance to add the lentils the crock pot was full. I don't know if I have a small crock pot or if I got a little over-zealous with the potatoes. I dumped everything into a large soup pot and cooked it on the stove top. In my haste, I forgot to add the celery and carrot. The soup has a wonderful flavor - definitely as a result of the chorizo. Next time, I'll remember to add the carrot/celery and I will try yams/potatoes but wait to add the them when the lentils start to get tender. I know my husband will add some hot sauce!

3 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is a great one Kim! I really like how you did the background...really adds some movement. Looking forward to your colorful Poinsettia.

Vicki W said...

I think this one stands on its onw beautifully - no additional embellishment neded! I really like the background and the embroidery on the leaves.

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

Beautiful, Kim. THe background is awesome.