Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Weekly Collage

wk04-08

The notes I wrote for myself for this weekly was 'orange, spiral, grid.' I used the orange fabric with the spiral design, again, and pulled together a quick sew/slash/sew grid. I've enjoyed these first four pieces of this new year. I like the fact that they were all quick abstracts and that I had fun making them. Hopefully the next 48 will go as well. Next month's theme is Gratitude and right now I have not set any guidelines for the five weeks.



Living consciously...

The title of the reading today was "Commitment" but the focus was on more on the lies we tell ourselves and how self-delusion is a self-defense strategy. A few years ago, after I got my teeth cleaned and listened (once again) to the dental hygienist sing the praises of flossing, I decided to brush and floss at least twice per day. The fifty odd years before that I had made commitments to floss more frequently and made up all kinds of clever stories I why I failed to keep the commitment - well, I was telling myself a lie and it did undermine my ability to deal with it. Once I decided to change my behavior... no reading of a ceremonial "I commit..." in the mirror, no lies, just did it and been doing it every since.

Telling myself the truth about my commitment to flossing seems like such a minor thing, now. I need to have sit down with myself and tell the truth about fighting with the spouse, healthier eating, exercise, and improving how I communicate with family and friends! Honestly, I wonder if I can work all that out by the end of the week?

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

Good luck working all that out by the end of the week. Then, you too, can write a book and ditch the blog for the Oprah Show.