Friday, July 11, 2008

Reading

A more or less typical Friday, except somehow I seemed to do less!?! I know how it happened. I picked up a copy of Tom Friedman's The World is Flat and started to read. The book was originally published in 2005, the copy I have has been updated and expanded.

Living consciously...

For practice: Take a moment right now to accept all the acts you play.

Hendricks point is that growing up we assume different behaviors to fit in and in adulthood we need to shed them to recover our authentic self. Growing up in the military I had many opportunities to assume different behaviors. I changed schools every year and it became my sport to decide what I was going to be and the "act" that way. I think being aware of how I behave (before, during or after) gives richness and insight into my authentic self. Shed... no, I am my experiences and have been shaped by them. My outward behavior as an adult is a truer expression of who I am now. When I was young I was trying to define myself, now I think it's refine... or re-find! (Perhaps that's what he meant.)

1 comment:

jenclair said...

I started this some time ago, but it got buried in one of my book stacks. I need to locate my copy because it WAS very interesting and with what is going on in the world right now...even more timely.