Sunday, August 24, 2008

Crumb Bear done



I finished the quilting and I put a brown binding on the quilt. I had auditioned other bindings but they kept competing with the bright colors dominate in the quilt. I planning on giving this to my daughter as a belated birthday present. The piece is 17" by 23" and I suppose I'd better put a sleeve on the back so she can hang it. And I thought I as done.

Living consciously...

The exercise today is one of letting go of something that once seemed essential.

I have been letting go of so many material, behavioral and relational baggage the last few years. Of course, I find that as I do get rid of these things, I also discover just more that I want to get rid of. The material things are the easy to part with. I think I getting better at identifying the behavioral patterns that I'm trying to change. The relational baggage lets go when I let go of some ego issues.

5 comments:

Vicki W said...

Crumb Bear turned out great!

Donna said...

Crumb bear is great -- How did you make him so it "works"? Did it take a lot of planning before hand...

Kim said...

vicki - Thanks!

donna - Thanks! I can't say I did much planning with this piece. The whole process felt like it flowed and the choices seemed really simple: in quilting the bear I didn't want thread taking away from the color so I used clear nylon thread with a blanket stitch; I thought about just echoing the bear in quilting the black background but with the 'triangles' in the crumbs, a square grid seemed better; I was going to frame it in a bright color but that drew attention away from the bear and specifically the red/yellow post, so brown worked better. It just seemed to unfold the way it should.

jenclair said...

Almost done! The sleeve won't take long, and it will make a great belated birthday present.

Kim said...

jen - Ha! My life's full of 'almost done' things! Still haven't sewn on the sleeve... lord knows I have enough fabric. She saw it when I was stitching on the binding and I probably won't see her for a few more days so, of course, I'm waiting until the very last moment.