Monday, September 15, 2008

Dark Monday


I took a break from the news after hearing "The Dow Jones Industrial falls 500 points after Lehman Brothers declares Chapter 11 bankruptcy and Merrill Lynch is sold to Bank of America."

I figured I'd catch up with the rest of it on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

Oh, and Richard Wright died.






Living consciously...

The practice for the day was to make it a "mood-awareness" day. Be aware of the fluctuations in your mood. I am aware that when I'm in a good mood I do "see" things differently and I behave differently. (I guess that's true when I'm in a bad mood as well!) I rather enjoy the ups and downs in life -- as long as I don't wallow in the 'downs' -- I believe each offers their own perspective.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We listened to the market fall yesterday too. We are retired and the stock market provides much of our income--looks like gloomy days ahead.

I still listen to Dark Side of the Moon from time to time. It's timeless....

Kim said...

rian - Things do look bleak but I'm trying to remain optimistic, although I feel a little like a deer in the headlights: startled; frozen in fear; and uncertain about the future. My husband is a few years from retirement and we'd like to have a strong portfolio before he leaves his day job. In the meantime, Mr. Calm-don't-panic (aka my hubby) is in New York wondering why all those media trucks were parked outside Lehman Brothers. He's there with my youngest daughter catching a few Yankees games before they move to the new stadium.

jenclair said...

I tried to avoid thinking about the stock market for a long time. That is difficult as my husband leaves the television on the stock market report each morning, and as the commenters became more concerned, I found it harder to ignore. And now...

Mood awareness, hmmm. I'm pretty aware of my moods, and they have everything to do with my behavior. Meditation helps.