Thursday, December 04, 2008

December TIF - Day One



Last month for SharonB's Take it Further Challenge and the theme this month is Generosity - what it is to give and how would you represent that visually.

I'm already struggling with my weekly collage theme of joy that when I read generosity my mind went blank. So, off to one on my favorite watering holes for inspiration - generosity. I left there with 'habit and oxytocin', not what I thought I'd leave with, off to the dictionary.
1. Liberality in giving or willingness to give.
2. Nobility of thought or behavior; magnanimity.
3. Amplitude; abundance.
4. A generous act.

I also find inspiration in quotations:

"Generosity is not giving me that which I need more than you do, but it is giving me that which you need more than I do." ~ Kahlil Gibran

"The habit of giving only enhances the desire to give." ~ Walt Whitman

"There is no beautifier of complexion, or form, or behavior, like the wish to scatter joy and not pain around us. 'Tis good to give a stranger a meal, or a night's lodging. 'Tis better to be hospitable to his good meaning and thought, and give courage to a companion. We must be as courteous to a man as we are to a picture, which we are willing to give the advantage of a good light." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Curiosity . . . endows the people who have it with a generosity in argument and a serenity in cheerful willingness to let life take the form it will." ~Alistair Cook

"No one has yet fully realized the wealth of sympathy, kindness and generosity hidden in the soul of a child. The effort of every true education should be to unlock that treasure." ~Emma Goldman

"Real generosity toward the future lies in giving all to the present." ~ Albert Camus

Which one is a better match with the color palette? This could be interesting.

On another subject, I'm still toying with the idea of Six Word Story in 2009 as it would challenge both my naive wordsmith and photography skills. Lucky for me, Rian sent me the link to this Digital-Photography School - time to start studying.



Living consciously...

The practice for the day was to think of a situation when you feel you were treated unfairly and by 'accepting rather than resisting' focus on turning that unproductive energy into something more positive.

I rather play Christmas music and just 'feel' upbeat and positive today. But seriously, I think this day's practice is something you need to do everyday. Life's not treating me unfairly, it's all in how I react!

No comments: