Sunday, November 15, 2009

nothing in excess

wk 37-09

Got back from Portland and sat down to whip out a weekly and sketch while I watched the second half of the Patriots v. Colts. I settled on Μηδὲν ἄγαν (Mēden ágan) - "Nothing in excess."



Rambling on...

I could have used that "nothing in excess" warning while I was enjoying cocktails before and after the opera. The cocktail before Orphee was a ron-yki-on at a Peruvian restaurant. It was ginger and rum concoction served up with a cardamom sugar rim. After Orphee, I switched to a Negroni Martini - just what I needed to deal with the chaotic tension I felt after watching the classic Orphic themes sandwiched between Glass' textural music and beautiful French lyrics. I liked Orphee even though it was, well, a little weird. My husband did not care for the music. We are both looking forward to watching Cocteau's film trilogy when it arrives from Netflix. We have Cocteau's La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast)... might make for a good week night viewing.

1 comment:

Kay said...

My husband would love that opera; he's a Phillip Glass fan. We saw Gluck's Orpheus several years ago--what a contrast, I guess. The music was lovely, but I have trouble with the suspension of disbelief necessary to accept a counter-tenor.