Sunday, January 20, 2008

baby, it was cold outside...

Congrats to New England and New York! I'm pretty sure it will be warmer in Arizona for the SuperBowl.


Living consciously...

The football game today was all about defense and so was the reading and practice for the day. It's one thing in a game but in life when defensive behavior rears it's head it blocks the learning possibilities in that moment. When you can catch yourself in the act of going defensive - and then choose to let go of your defensive posture - you can make great leaps ahead on the path of conscious living. One of my favorite admonishments to myself is "Manage the Gap!" I usually do that in terms of watching how I react to a stimulus - watch the gap between stimulus and response. I guess now I can try a new technique and when I feel uncomfortable about something, I can feel the gap and ask myself what I'm defending against right now.

1 comment:

Debra Dixon said...

My parents were constantly telling me, "Don't be so defensive" (when they were criticizing me) that it rather helped me to just let go of (some) of the reaction. But, it is so easy to get defensive.