Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Working with a sketchbook




I know that working with a sketchbook requires a commitment and practice but I've often struggled with what am I suppose to put into the sketchbook. I understand the short answer to that is "everything" but that just made me feel that it would be so cluttered that I wouldn't value it as a tool. An excuse? Maybe, but at least I'm going to try and push through it. Today I continued to work on design development for the January Take it Further Challenge. My goal today was to come up with a simple symbol to represent the attribute for each of the individuals I admire.



I came up with these.

What are the process steps for working on a creative idea? Here's what I think so far - but I don't think I work strictly linearly - I think I'm working on #'s 1 through 4 all at the same time:
1. design idea (or challenge)
2. research & brainstorming
3. sketching
4. samples & proto designs
5. work on "real" piece
6. finishing touches

I don't yet know what the "real" piece is going to look like. I suppose a sketch ought to come about soon!


Living consciously...

The practice today is to take ownership for your secrets. Okay.
Write it down, put it outside yourself and remember that what's left inside still needs loving acceptance and healing. Right.

I thought I wasn't going to have to deal with the fixing/healing paradigm but rather focus on the learning paradigm. It's days like this that I'm happy I'm also reading through Simple Abundance where the day's focus is on Happiness. There's a reference to a line from Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca: "Happiness is not a possession to be prize, it is a quality of thought, a state of mind."

Tally Ho.

3 comments:

Françoise said...

Thanks for sharing pages from your sketchbook.
I love this quote from Daphné du Maurier.

Deb Geyer said...

Your question about the steps of design brought back memories of design classes I took many years ago. As I remember the steps we learned were very similar to the steps you listed.
-identify problem
-research
-preliminaries
-refinement and mock-up
-analyze
-implement
I think that they went something like that. And you are right, they are not linear, but more like a cycle. At any point you may circle back to any of the other steps.

I'm wondering, do these steps also apply to art?

Kay said...

The process certainly is a circle; you can go back from 5 to 3 or 4, (maybe even to 2) and certainly from 6 back to 5. At least I do. It's fun to watch the way you're developing this.