Monday, March 17, 2008

February's Journal Quilt



I'm finally finished my Journal quilt for February. With leftover shoes from the TIFC I decided to show my gratitude for the childhood game of Tic Tac Toe.


As planned, soup and bread for dinner. I made a small loaf of bread about the size of a grapefruit. I figure I'll be doing trial and error for some time until I get more confidence. Although the bread was fully cooked, I think I could have left in the oven for a few more minutes to get a more golden crust.

Living consciously...

The reading today from Gay Hendrick's A Year of Living Consciously hinted at discovering who you really are by letting the levels of identity fall away. The practice was to stand in front of a mirror and "let go of any layers of identity that would have been different if you'd grown up in a different family or a different place. Feel what remains."

Ow. I mean really, sometimes this man makes my head hurt! In reading Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, he refers to a time when he was standing in front of a mirror and had a brief shift from thinking to awareness. It was only a glimpse and it took him years before he "became free of compulsive thinking and of the false, mind-made I."

I think I'd rather try to stop the repetitive thought patterns of the conditioned mind than try on fantasies of the life I might have had if I'd grown up differently.

1 comment:

jenclair said...

Does your husband think it looks more like a normal tic tac toe board now?

I really like this piece...especially those shoe strings! It has been fun watching the progress.