Tuesday, March 25, 2008

March TIFC - Day Six



I've finished my March Take it Further Challenge. (Thanks to SharonB of In a Minute Ago!) For this challenge I decided to use the palette she suggested (and some other colors)and to focus on taking a detail of something I made earlier and take it further. While I was trying to come up with ideas I ran across this page I had colored in 2006:

The words left uncolored read - Journal of Madme... At the fortieth circle "Enough, enough! Enough, Have I done my duty... Yes." And, yes, there are 40 circles (or as others have seen - olives, eyes, or bumper cars.)


I took a section of this page and enlarged it. The only challenge was to figure out how to have the lettering look as transparent as I could. I resolved that by using a variegated silky Sulky thread that was black/gray/white.



I'm still tickled that I found the green background piece. It was perfect and made the job easier. The piece is 8.5" x 11"

Living consciously...

"Breathe deep and remember our fears as a child... " These are the practices that I tend to ignore. I do like the statement at the end - "When you deny that you are the cause of what happens to you, you tend to project it outside, on partners, bosses, the world itself. Unconscious loving thrives on victimhood."

This quote was a part of the reading today: Let there be spaces in your togetherness and let the winds of the heavens dance between you. - Kahlil Gibran

It was taken from Gibran's writings on Marriage which I've always loved.

Then Almitra spoke again and said, "And what of Marriage, master?"
And he answered saying:
You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when white wings of death scatter your days.
Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

9 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Wonderful Kim. I really like the design and the text on it adds another dimension.

Sharon Tomlinson said...

This is amazing and I agree that background fabric was perfect.

Tanguera said...

Beautiful piece. I love the circles and the writing is a nice touch. The reflection of Almitra at the end brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing that!

McIrish Annie said...

Kim, you've done a wonderful job! I love your piece and thanks for sharing Gibran.

neki desu said...

The background is great, but the border is even better.And i think the
text brings it all together.

neki desu

jenclair said...

Love the way it turned out; the variegated thread text is my favorite part.

Kay said...

I love this! And I'm so glad to have the tip about what kind of thread you did the writing with.

Maya Sara Matthew said...

I love circles and i really like the whole concept behind the piece.
That particular quote from Khalil Gibran is very special to me.

Granny Fran said...

Fantabulous piece! I'm in awe of how you keep coming up with such great pieces.