Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Weekly Collage

Wk13-08

The final simplicity themed weekly for month. My goal was whole cloth work - no piecing - to meet the theme. I was trying to figure out what to do and asked my daughter what she saw. She said either flowers or some sort of virus. I went with flowers! I could kind of see hydrangeas... if I looked really hard. My approach was just "quilt" and see what happens. What I ended up with was most leaves.


Dinner tonight was great. I did change the recipe a bit. One of our favorite Jamie Oliver recipes is an asparagus dish with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and Greek olives. My husband usually cooks it on the grill. Tonight, I put two chicken breasts into the mix with some olive oil and salt and pepper, baked in a 400F oven for 35 minutes. The recipe called for chicken breasts with the skin. It has easily been years since I've bought them that way. Wonder flavors and it was just the right amount for the three of us.



Living consciously...

Hendricks writes that in early relationships you mimicked what you knew from your family-of-origin relationships. It's the classic looking to find someone like your father OR running as fast and as far away from anyone that resembles your father. For practice he suggests the following:

I commit to knowing about my past patterns in seeking others for relationship.
I commit to looking at my pattern of replicating and replacing in relationship.
I commit to choosing a path that meets my adult needs rather that childhood needs.
I commit to having love and to being responsible for finding and growing that love.


Not too many days ago I was ready to write down all the "I commit..." statements and review them as part of my morning routine. I'm feeling less inclined to do that now. I get where Hendricks is coming from but I'm not enamored with his approach to discovery consciousness.

I'm slowing making my way through Tolle's A New Earth. I have noticed that how I react to things or events or people seems to be different. I can't claim to be "awakened" (yet!?!?) but I am trying to be more aware and trying to be more present in what I'm doing. It's a hard thing to wrap words around. I did like this quote: "Mastery of life is not a question of control, but finding balance between human and Being."

1 comment:

Granny Fran said...

You have such a great eye to turn this fabric into such a gorgeous batch of leaves and flowers.
The chicken and veggies look yummy.