Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April TIFC - Day One

SharonB of In a Minute Ago has offered up a new challenge for April: How do you see change? and with this palette:




I like both the theme and the palette but not necessarily together! With a little research to get things started:




There is nothing permanent except change - Heraclitus
From The Harper Book of Quotations... but who really knows if Heraclitus really said it because most of his writing only survived as fragments. Panta rhei is Greek for 'everything is in a state of flux' is a over simplification of his philosophy. The painting of Heraclitus by Johannes Morleese.


The more things change, the more they stay the same - Alphonse Karr
I've always liked this quotation, especially in French, "Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose."



All things change , and we change with them. - Alexander Pope
Another one of my favorites and in Latin: omnia mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis. I found this painting of Pope by Jean-Baptiste van Loo very striking...

Funny how closely the palette of both paintings match the TIF challenge!





Living consciously...

The practice today: Turn complaints into actions or requests.

I like what Eckhart Tolle wrote in A New Earth: Complaining is one of the ego's favorite strategies for strengthening itself. Every complaint is a little story the minds makes up that you completely believe in. Most complaining has no real purpose, it's not meant to bring about change, it is meant to "feed" the ego. This has really helped me be more aware - am I just having my own little pity/whine party or am I intending to bring about change?

3 comments:

Donna said...

interesting connections between the TIF challenge theme of change and the living consciously idea of change....

Kay said...

Interesting quotations to make us think. You're right about the palette and the paintings. Without really focusing on it, I had thought the palette was very rich and sophisticated looking.

McIrish Annie said...

Wow, deep thoughts on the TIF theme. I love the quotes. My silly little head went to hairdos and hair color when I read the theme! :)